· Metal is about lightest material you can install on your sloped roof. Weight can vary by gauge and manufacturer but it is definitely much lighter weight than a shingle or cedar shake roof. This is a good option for roofs in heavy snow load areas such as Barrie, Orillia, Midland, Collingwood, Gravenhurst, Bracebridge and Huntsville…basically anywhere in the Muskoka or Simcoe regions. Less overall weight on your roof means less chance for any structural damage. If you experience ice damming frequently then a steel roof should be one of your primary considerations.
· Metal roofing offers good weather resistance and can lasts a long time. The products we primarily install are Steel Tile and Metal Sales which both come with a 40 year warranty. Our steel roofing options are superior at preventing leaks, offering good wind resistance and are fireproof. Some insurance companies offer discounts if you have a metal roof for these reasons.
· There are many style options available…not just your barn style panel, making choices abundant for a beautiful looking roof. Steel roofing makes your home or business stand out and look like a step above the rest.
· Steel roofing is 3-4 times the cost of a shingle roof. The initial investment is more than a shingle roof but steel roofs do add value to a home or place of business making resale value higher in the end so most of the cost is recouped eventually.
· Steel roofing does require maintenance. All roofs require maintenance but some steel roofs require specialized maintenance every 5-7 years to ensure they continue to perform properly. This can be a bit challenging for the average customer so at Roofing for Less we offer a roof tune up service and the first roof tune up is free with your purchase of a new steel roof.
· Some are concerned with a snow and ice avalanche which is a real possibility with a steel roof. However proper use of and placement of steel snowguards that we custom make and bend to match your roof colour eliminates these issues.